Friday, May 2, 2008

And so the journey begins...

It all began when I purchased my $1,600 plane ticket.....ouch! I keep thinking of all the debt I could possibly be in after this trip. But then I realize something. When am I ever going to be able to have the freedom to do it after college? It's a perfect time now to be able to see another world, another culture. More importantly though, I'll be able to grow as a person...and you can't put a price on that.

So on August 25, 2008 at 4:35pm, I will be boarding a plane to Mumbai, India. At first I couldn't believe that I was actually doing it. It was like a cloud in the sky. A dream that was just a dream. And I was standing on the ground with no way up to the cloud. To be honest, I don't think that it will actually hit me that I really am going to India until I board that plane. Who knows, maybe it won't even hit me until I smell the new smells and see the new sites in India.

I've always known that I wanted to study abroad in college. For me, I knew that it would be much harder to travel around the world if I waited til after college, so college was the time to do it. Professor Stracke's sociology class really opened me up to different cultures. He opened me up to so much and I am forever thankful. I've always been interested trying new things and going new places. But at the time, I thought new places meant going out to Colorado or something. But India? Why not! And when I want to study abroad, I want to go all the way. Throw myself out of my comfort bubble and travel to a completely different culture. Turn me upside down, twirl me and let me experience something I have never seen before. I won't know until next fall if ripping myself out of my comfort zone was the best thing for me, but we'll see. You never know until you try it, right?

The independence factor will definitely be interesting. Until high school, I was so unbelievably shy and wouldn't do anything without someone else there with me. In high school though, I had to stand up for myself due to some learning disability issues. I needed to stick up for myself and make sure that I got the education that I deserved. That was when I slowly started to break out of my shell and become who I am today. Today for me, it's always nice to have someone else there with me experiencing the same things that I am, but it's surely not necessary. Having people around me makes me feel more comfortable in that environment, but also being able to experience things on my own is great. I have come so far from being that shy girl in middle school.

So here I am, being thrown out of my comfort zone and into a new culture. No safety nets included on this one. So thanks for reading this and listening to my experiences in India. It's going to be a very interesting journey come August 25th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of you this morning as you leave for India. I read your blog for the first time just now. It is beautifully written. We are so very PROUD of you and what you are doing!
Please continue to write in this blog. It will be a permanent record of what you are doing.

the attorney

Anonymous said...

AHYA!! so you texted me that you left NY to go to India and I'm soo excited for you. You're gonna have an amazing trip just watch out where you go at night and all that good stuff and come back in one piece. I'll have no one to bug at night and talk to for an hour while trying to get the wall. I just read the note you left for me on my pillow and I'm definitely hanging it up. aw i like the "see you in December" NOT goodbye. you've always been there for me and I love being there for you whenever you need me (or when you dont). you should know by now that the triplets mean forever! you might not be here for my first day of school, but mom can take a picture of me in front of the house and i can somehow put you in the picture! cause i'll definitely miss you. take a picture on your first day of school too! i love you soooo much!!! im so excited for you even though at the airport i was more freaked out than you were. your career is going forward just by going on this trip! and just think, by the end of this, you'll have 18,000 reward miles to use up! i'll definitely take care of the babies [and the rest of the family] for you. i'll miss you soo much! December 21st cant come soon enough!! dont forget to take your malaria pills everyday!
LOVE,
AHN JILL XOXOXOXO