Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Nehru-Gandhi Family Legacy

If I die a violent death, as some fear and a few are plotting, I know the violence will be in the thought and action of the assassin, not in my dying, for no hate is dark enough to overshadow the extent of my love for my people and my country; no force is strong enough to divert me from my purpose and my endeavor to take this country forward. 
~Indira Gandhi, former Indian Prime Minister 

After visiting Humayan's Tomb and India Gate, we had some lunch then made our way to the Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum. Just as we were entering the museum, we saw a tour bus of local women who were coming to visit the museum too. After entering the very small museum, we soon realized that the other women on the tour were illiterate and were quickly passing by each exhibit. With the small, cramped museum packed with the women from the tour bus, it was difficult to leisurely stroll through, but having Karin’s co-worker with us definitely helped. She’s so passionate about history and was able to tell us all about the controversies with Indira Gandhi, her political life, and the reign of her family. 

The remnants of Rajiv Gandhi's clothes after the suicide bomber killed him






Now that I’m hooked on hearing more about the Gandhi family legacy (not to be confused with Mahatma Gandhi who has no relation to Indira), I think I definitely want to read her biography. Their family history reminds me so much of the Kennedy family in the U.S., with the political life and tragedies that have consumed each family.  




The Nehru-Gandhi family has a huge political legacy in India. Indira’s father, Jawaharlal Nehru was the first Prime Minister of India. Then Indira Gandhi became the third Prime Minister from 1966 to 1970, then became elected again from 1980 until her death in 1984. Indira’s son, Rajiv Gandhi was a pilot but after persuasion from his mother, he got into politics as well. He became the sixth Prime Minister on October 31, 1984, just after his mother passed away that same day. While campaigning for elections in 1991, he was assassinated by a suicide bomber. Rajiv’s son, Rahul Gandhi, is also now in politics. Right now he’s the Vice President of the Indian National Congress (one of the two major political parties in India). His mother, Sonia Gandhi, is the President of the Congress Party.

No comments: