Monday, November 18, 2013

To Rajasthan I Go!

On this trip to India, I knew I wanted to see more of north India since I had seen a lot of south India back in 2008. Even in 2008 when I was living in Mumbai, I knew I wanted to visit Rajasthan some day. It's a region in northern India that is known for their gorgeous colored buildings (think pinks, blues and yellows) and their mirrored embroidery. The fabrics and handicrafts that come from this region are known around the world. They're just gorgeous!


Once I started to research places to go in Rajasthan and how easy or not so easy it was for a white woman to travel alone, I began to have some fears about traveling alone. The culture and "social climate" is a lot different in the north compared to the south. In order for me to actually enjoy myself on the holiday, I knew I would have to book an organized tour. I'm not always one to want to book a tour through a company but with northern India, I knew it was safer and less of a hassle to do it this way. The beauty with booking through Intrepid Tours is that each tour is 12 people or less, which allows you to still travel with others but also not travel with 3 tour busses. 

Once I shelled out my credit card, I got so happy that I was actually going to Rajasthan! It'll be an amazing 15 day adventure for sure. And with the majority of my Master's degree work out of the way by end of January, I'll actually be able to enjoy myself!

For all you out there that are wondering what I'll be doing around Rajasthan, here's a snapshot of my trip:

Days 1-2 Delhi
Chaotic Delhi is awash with historical sites, museums and markets. Visit the wonderful walled city of Old Delhi and see one of its most impressive buildings, the Jama Masjid. Join the crowds to explore the bazaars; everything is for sale here from fireworks and silks to copper and spices.

Day 3 Agra
Travel by train to the Mughal city of Agra. Learn the tragic love stories and mysterious legends of the Red Fort. Visit the iconic Taj Mahal - constructed from marble and inlaid with jade, crystal and sapphire, it must be seen to be believed.

Day 4 Rural Heritage Stay
Journey to rural Rajasthan to stay at a royal family residence. Explore the village, meet villagers and chat with traditional craftspeople for a unique insight into local life.

Days 5-6 Jaipur
Visit the Amber Fort en route to Jaipur, Rajasthan's 'Pink City'. Jaipur is bursting at the seams with markets filled with jewellery, textiles and folk-based arts. After bargaining for souvenirs, there's an opportunity to laugh, shout and cheer with locals at a lively Bollywood film.

Day 7 Ranthambhore National Park
Safari into the heart of the Indian bush to discover lakes and ruined palaces. Keep an eye out for deer, monkeys and reclusive Bengal tigers.

Day 8 Bundi
Journey through rural Rajasthan to Bundi. Admire stunning murals at the palace that presides over the town's Brahmin- blue rooftops, explore the enchanting alleyways and experience life in remote Rajasthan.

Days 9-10 Rural Heritage Stay
Journey through rural Rajasthan to the quaint city of Bassi. Spend the first night in a beautiful fortified mansion then spend the second night in a deluxe tent camping under the stars.

Days 11-12 Udaipur
Rolling hills, white marble palaces and lakes come together to make Udaipur the most romantic city in Rajasthan. Visit City Palace, one of the largest royal palaces in India.

Days 13-14 Pushkar
With India's only Brahma temple and a holy lake, Pushkar is the place to rub shoulders with pilgrims and sadhus (holy men). For a change of pace, take a camel ride into the desert and witness a magical sunset among the dunes. In free time, shop, explore or head to a hilltop temple for views over the town. A hot chai at the top makes the effort worthwhile!

Day 15 Delhi
Come full circle on return to the hum of Delhi.









No comments: