Saturday, October 25, 2008

Updates from India

To start out, I just want to say that "yes, I'm alive" and "no, I don't have dengue fever"...thank god! I got my test results and xray back from the hospital, went to the doctor and she told me that I don't have dengue fever, but instead I do have sinusitis. No surprise there for me because I've had it in the past and have seasonal allergies every single year. So now I've been taking some nasal spray and antibiotics to help with all of that.

Throughout all my crazy experiences that I've had in India so far (such as learning that I was practically being kicked out of my apartment and having to find another one in a few days time), I've managed to see the glass half full. If I never changed apartments, I would never have met Blanche, the woman I'm staying with. She has been so wonderful these past few weeks and months. It'll be midnight and we find ourselves talking away about politics, different governments, various festivals, our families, corruption and yes, even Angelina Jolie. I plan to definitely stay in contact with her when I'm back in the States.

And if I had never gone to the hospital thinking that I have dengue fever, I never would have been able to have an experience at a hospital in India. Let me tell ya, they certainly do things differently here...some for the good and some not so good.

Let's see, other news....My Dad & his friend Hollis are coming to visit the last two weeks that I'm here!! I'm super excited that they're able to come. It's always so nice when you've had a great experience somewhere or have gone somewhere amazing and you're able to share in that experience with someone else that you care about. When they come in December, we're going to spend a few days in Mumbai then make our way down south for a 10 day vacation.

December 10-12 Mumbai
We'll probably go see the Gateway of India, Elephanta Caves (carvings in a cave of various forms of Shiva...a Hindu god), and shop around Bandra (a suburb in Mumbai where I'm living and where all the shops & restaurants are).

December 12-15 Chennai, Mahabalipuram & Kanchipuram
Chennai and Kanchipuram are famous for the tons of temples that they have. In Mahabalipuram/Mamallapuram, there's the world's largest relief carving, and more caves and temples.

December 15-20 Cochin, Periyar, Kumarakom, Allepey and Trivandrum
Cochin has Kathakali dancing (performers are all men and dress up in elaborate costumes with very colorful make up/masks), Chinese fishing nets and other places to visit. Periyar is where a wildlife refuge is, and has elephants, tigers and other animals. We plan to take a boat ride on the lake inside the refuge and see where the elephants bathe and where the other animals drink water. Kumarakom is where the backwaters are. They're supposed to be beautiful and similar to the Everglades. In Allepey, we're going to be living in a houseboat for a night and will be able to pass by all the little villages in the area. Trivandrum is another city, just like Cochin, and will have some other attractions as well. All throughout Kerala (the state in which all of these cities are) is famous for the Ayurvedic treatments. It is known to be where Ayurvedic treatments and philosophy began. So, of course while we're in Kerala, we'll also be having an Ayurvedic treatment (or two, or three haha) done.

After all of that, the very next day we'll be hopping on another plane and heading home to the U.S. I wish we had more time to visit all of these places, but I'm sure glad I'm at least able to do all of this. It's going to be an amazing time. These days in southern India will hopefully be "good" days in India :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so relieved to hear in YOUR words that you are physically ok. I've been checking your blog & my e-mail about daily hoping to hear something from you.

You also sound happier! Am I right? I'm glad your Dad is going to join you for a couple of weeks in December. Knowing that will help the time fly for you.

The lawyer