Friday, February 7, 2014

The Colors of Rajasthan-Jaipur (Day 6)

Sunday January 19—Day 6 (Jaipur)

Today was a free day for us. After a few jam-packed days, it was nice to have a day off to roam around and do as we please. I decided to join most of the group for a day of shopping. So we got into rickshaws and first headed to a textile shop. Once we got there the owner of the shop showed us how the stages of block printing are done. 





They first do an overall outline in black, then have blocks of color that fill in the different sections of the print. Being a scrapbooker and lover of all things art, I loved seeing this process and will definitely have to pick up some of the block print stamps before heading back home. Since I’ll still be living in India for another month or so before heading home, I didn’t buy any textiles or jewelry at the shops in Jaipur but at least it gave me a good idea of what I want to buy back in New Delhi. But little did I know that I would throw all caution to the wind when we got to Udaipur and ended up doing some pretty good damage on my wallet!

Later that night, we went to a dinner and cultural show. It wasn’t as great as the Kathakali dancing that I saw when I was in Kerala, but at least the dinner buffet made up for it!






No comments: